Re: Camera WAS: Read this spark plug? a question back

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 23:14:00 EDT

Jon N. Benignus wrote:
>>I've got this camera:
>>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf707/
>>And it takes WONDERFULL pictures =)
>
> 2 megapixel isn't bad, it's now on the low end of the spectrum, but, it's
> not as expensive as a 5 megapixel camera.
> I noticed it has a 10x digital zoom. Digital zoom really isn't a zoom. It
> only enlarges the picture, then uses the center of the image. Then to try to
> gain back the clarity it lost, it interpolates the information in order to
> reassemble the digtal image the way it was before the enlarging. You lose
> clarity in the process. This is the problem with most digital cameras on the
> consumer end.

Actually, according to the specs on DP Review the 707 has a 5X optical
zoom with an "up to" 2X digital zoom. With enough pixels, a digital
zoom is almost usable. 5X optical is better than most consumer digital
cameras.

> Remember, digital has a long way to go to match film. That camera is a 2
> megapixel capability, film is around 35 megapixel.

Yes and no. No one has truly measured the "megapixels" for a 35mm frame
of film. Most journalism work is already converted over to digital
cameras. News of an 11MP Canon leaked a couple weeks ago, and news of a
13.8MP Kodak came out late last night. Film will be matched soon if
13.8MP isn't "close enough" for you (which would also seat you firmly in
the film snob section).