Trap speed vs actual speed (was: A few 4.56 gears Qs.)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 12:07:36 EDT

"Tony Cellana" <acellan1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
: My 99 R/T has a set of 4.10s and I use the 26 ET Streets on the track. MPH
: through the traps is right at 100, and my rpms are around 5400.

   Speaking of which, does anyone know if there are any accepted
methods to calculate actual speed from trap speed, or vice/versa?
Drag strips use a 66' (I think) trap at the end of the run to
calculate your speed, based on the amount of time it takes you to
cover that known distance. However, you are actually acellerating
all the way through that distance, so your actual speed at the end
of the 1/4mi is higher than what is listed on your time slip. (This
is why the G-tech reads a higher 1/4mi speed than the track.)

  However when working out gear changes and tire sizes as we are doing
here, actual speed is what we want, but we only have trap speed
(except for the cases where we might be able to glance at the speedo
at the *exact* moment we cross the line, and even that calls into
question speedometer accuracy, etc.) It would be nice to be able
to convert trap speed to actual. Granted, different vehicles will
be accellerating at different rates, so its probably not like you can
do something like actual speed = trap speed - 5%. But maybe some
assumptions can be drawn based on the trap speed itself, maybe throw
HP or some other things into the mix, and a table of percentages for
different trap speed ranges could be made? That's certainly not 100%
accurate either, but it might at least get it a few MPH closer...

  I did a web search but came up with nothing.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'