Brakes worked for me, TG !!!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 12:07:43 EST

Hi

You won't find me complaining about the brakes on the Dakota :-)

I have never had any brake work done on my Dakota since I bought
it in Feb. '97. For me, there has been no reason that has cropped
up after each of my periodic inspection. Am I ever glad that they
came through on the track last Saturday!

I have had manual upshift problems at WOT since '99. Gear will not
upshift some of the time and I generally will hit the rev limiter. I have
gone the whole nine yards in trying to fix the problem, short of spending
the big bucks for a tranny rebuild or a valve body replacement.

Anyhow, on Sat., I decided to try a trick that had been posted a long
time ago (in the '98 archives).

It worked, to the extent that my manual 1-2 shift at 5200 rpm and 2-3
at 5600 were right on the button. BUT after I crossed the stripe and
lifted on the pedal, the throttle remain wide open! Thank heaven the
renovated track has a 1/4-mile shut-down beyond the finish line :-)

I tried everything to get the throttle off but was running out of track
room. I put both feet on the brake pedal and pushed as hard as I could.
Fortunately, I got it slowed down enough to safely make the turn at the
turn-off. Thank heaven again that the turn-off area had been widen :-)

I pulled way over and got her stopped with throttle still wide open.
Back tires were doing a burnout (sorry, wrong spot :-) ) I turned the
key off to kill the motor. The timeslip official came running out of his
shack to see what's what. He had heard me going WOT as I approaching
the end of the track and didn't think that I was going to slow down!

Good thing that I went to the washroom before making that run :-)
I wonder if my rotors were flame red just like those Winston Cup boys :-)

When I got the air cleaner off, I expected the butterflies to be wide
open but to my amazement they were fully closed!

I have since gone through an extensive test and investigation (with scanner
as well) and I have no idea what caused the problem.

Shurr hate to see what the rotors/pads look like now :-) Spent an hour
getting the brake dust off the rims :-)

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (truck, driver, 3/8 tank)
Pre-ported heads: RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: et 14.313 trap
speed 95.92