Re: Brakes worked for me, TG !!!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 15:38:32 EST

At 07:52 PM 11/12/02 +0000, you wrote:
> Yowsas! Really glad to hear you and the truck came out of that
>one OK! I realize hindsight is 50/50, arm chair quarterback, and
>no offence intended, etc. but just wondering why not shut the engine
>off first thing?

I had spoken to David about that exact thing back in September.
I should have keyed the ignition off when it dawned on me that
I couldn't close the throttle but, with that motor roaring at WOT and the
Gibson singing its WOT tune, da head says key off but da hand
doesn't want to do it :-)

It would be okay to kill the ignition under those circumstances
and coast it out in gear. Almost like the fuel cut when the rev limiter
is hit. Internals (motor not mine) might object. I guess that the difference
is that with the ignition kill a lot of fuel might still be still in the
chambers so you would have to be careful when you start
it up the next time or the hood might take off :-)

> Anyway, I'm glad you were able to keep a cool head, control the
>situation and walk away with no damage! Hopefully you'll eventually
>figure out what went wrong. -Jon-

I HAVE been thinking that I was parked near your pit not too long ago :-)

Not something a 64 year old wants to experience, thank you very much :-)

I didn't have my life flash before me but I could see the headlines,
"A first. 318 Dakota runs WOT off the end of a 1/2-mile track" :-)

Maybe I should start running with a parachute :-)

Bob