Dak Convertible prices?

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 16:01:31 EST

   I need another vehicle like I need a hole in the head but... A Dakota
Convertible just popped up on a local used car lot. Just for the heck of
it, I stopped to see what they were asking. They have it listed at about
$4900 but will come down a little. They said they would probably leave it
there for a little while and if they didn't get any bites, would store it
and put it back out in the spring or summer when it is more attractive.

   Its a 1990 V6, 2wd, 5-spd with just under 160,000 miles. The body is
excellent and there doesn't seem to be any rust; very nice condition. The
top isn't perfect, but its not too bad either. The interior looks good,
and it is well optioned with air, tilt, power windows, etc.

  The only problem they said it had was a noisy throwout bearing in the
clutch which they would replace. (How hard is that to do, maybe I could
buy it as is and get 'em to drop the price some more?)

   Anyway, I thought I would stop and would consider it if it ere $3,000
or so; I was thrown off a bit by the almost $5,000 they are asking, but
after researching it a bit more, that *seems* to be about what people are
asking for these things, though that is not reflected in any of the on-line
blue book sites I have checked. (kbb, etc. seem to put the value closer to
$3500-4000 or less)

   I just thought I would post here to see if I could get some opinions on
this. The main reason I am considering it is lets face it, I'm kinda into
Daks ;-) and this is a pretty unique one to have! It would probably make a
nice summer parts chaser, and who knows maybe I could take it as a business
expense and start developing some premag goodies via Steiger Performance.
Hmmmm... :-)

   I'm not sure that it will ever be a "collectors item" in the sense that
some vehicles are but if I hang onto it for 20 years, who knows? Another
idea I have had was if the high mileage V6 decided to go on me, it might be
interesting to throw a 318 Magnum into the engine bay.

  Any comments or advice would be appreciated. :-) Does this sound like
a decent price for a very good condition Dak convertible, albeit with a
high mileage engine?

  Thanks! :-)

                                              -Jon-

 .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----.
 | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
 | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly |