Re: RE: ECU ReplaceD - 92 Dak V8

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 00:46:32 EST

"Shane Craven" <shanec@spie.org> wrote:

: I believe that light is on a mileage-timer and is a reminder to take it to the dealer (please, no laughing) for them to check the PCV valve, breather, O2 sensor, etc. I've been driving with mine on for half a year now with not a single problem. I remember asking the dealer and they said it costs $35 just to turn off the light and not check anything. I'm about ready to open up the dash and take out that little light!

   Yep, according to my '90 FSM, the light will come on at 60,000, 82,500
and 120,000 miles. It must be reset using a scanner. The dealer can
do this, and maybe there are some private garages that would be able
to do it - maybe even one of the oil chain places. I definitely wouldn't
recommend pulling the bulb because that will hide further legitimate
reasons for the MIL to be on.

  Igor, I would recommend you take the truck to the dealership where
you purchased the PCM and have them reset the light. (Arguably,
since they sold you the computer, they should ensure that the light
is off - so they should do it for free.) Heck, it would probably
only take them 2 minutes to do it, and that's counting the time it
would take them to walk out into the parking lot with the scanner. ;-)
Considering you just spent $200 with them, its the least they could do.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'