RE: 94 Dak, Can't turn key

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 17:07:40 EST

-----Original Message-----
 On Behalf Of David Henry
Subject: DML: 94 Dak, Can't turn key

I tried both my OEM keys with the same result and no difference.

If the steering wheel really isn't locked then the next thing that comes to
mind is a worn key.
Happened to me long ago. The original key got worn to the point that it
wouldn't push the pins into the correct alignment.
The only way I could get it to work was to insert it all the way and then
pull it out just a tiny fraction while turning it.
I had the dealer cut a new one from the code on the key. BTW, I gave up long
ago having a hardware store cut keys. It's not worth the aggravation having
to return three times or more, even if they don't charge you until the key
works. For most things like doors or padlocks, I go to a locksmith. For
automotive, the dealer for that make of vehicle.
The keys work the first time. My 2 cents.