Re: 22 gal. gas tank?

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 10:26:45 EST

Hi Val
Your gauge is calibrated to give you about a 5gal reserve when reading "E".
The gas pump icon will come on even earlier as you know.
If you have a 97 or later model it "should" have a 22gal tank, the Durango
has a 24 I think and maybe the Quad Cab also.
Gas mileage can oly be accurately calculated with absolutely full gas tanks
together, in other words, fill the tank to the brim, drive x-number of miles
on that tank, fill to the brim again, then divide the gallons consumed into
the miles driven.
My 2k Dakota takes at least 2 more gal of gas after the first shutoff to
really fill the tank. You'll know when you reach that as you can't see the
gas going slowing down from the neck into the tank anymore.
     I always fill to the brim and I then set my trip odometer to "OOO."
When I've gone 360 to 380mi regardless of what my gas gauge reads I know I
will need gas since I get a consistent 19-20mpg with my V6/auto. With a
22gal tank I end up buying 19 or gal of gas. I've never run out following
this method. Keeping a running check on mileage is also an excellent
barometer of how your engine is running.

Paul Sahlin