RE: New Tire Time--> Siping

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:39:01 EST

At 09:47 PM 12/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:

>It's funny that you say that, because I have always heard the opposite
>with siping. I had my BFG Mud Terrains siped about 6 months after
>purchase. I noticed they were a little quieter on the highway and the
>traction was undeniably better in general. After having these tires now
>for 35,000 miles the look like they are only 1/3 worn, although I am doing
>a five tire rotation.
>
>Just my experience with siping tires.

The newer design of the BFG All-Terrain is siped from the
factory. Treadwear on the newer (siped, among other things) design is
significantly better than the older designs. Traction is great, too. I
have about 20,000 miles on mine and have barely worn any of the tread
off. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 5th tire to rotate in. I don't
want to do it now because I'm probably going to buy some larger rims (and
consequently need new tires) in the next year or two.

In any event, I love these tires, and they sure beat the pants off the
stock Goodyears. (Though that didn't take much)

-Bill