Re: New Tire Time--> Siping

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:54:04 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:

> At 09:47 PM 12/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> It's funny that you say that, because I have always heard the opposite
>> with siping. I had my BFG Mud Terrains siped about 6 months after
>> purchase. I noticed they were a little quieter on the highway and the
>> traction was undeniably better in general. After having these tires
>> now for 35,000 miles the look like they are only 1/3 worn, although I
>> am doing a five tire rotation.
>>
>> Just my experience with siping tires.
>

> The newer design of the BFG All-Terrain is siped from the factory.
> Treadwear on the newer (siped, among other things) design is
> significantly better than the older designs. Traction is great, too. I
> have about 20,000 miles on mine and have barely worn any of the tread
> off. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 5th tire to rotate in. I
> don't want to do it now because I'm probably going to buy some larger
> rims (and consequently need new tires) in the next year or two.
>
> In any event, I love these tires, and they sure beat the pants off the
> stock Goodyears. (Though that didn't take much)
>
> -Bill

Been a while since we've had a BFG A/T KO love-fest here :) I put mine
on almost 2 years ago, nearly 30,000 miles, after a near-accident
experience w/ the Goodyears
(http://www.dakota-truck.net/ARCHIVES/0101/0079.html) I *will* be
purchasing BFG again - I'm showing some wear now at 28K but have more
tread than the Goodyears did at the same mileage - and they are very
solid in just about every condition I've driven them in.