Re: Re: tires online

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 23:40:44 EST

Marc W. Grobe wrote:

> I have always bought my tires at "Discount Tires" type of places which really has helped me save some dollars. About a year ago a friend of mine cautioned me about getting tires from places like this. He is a Jeep mechanic and stated from his understanding that Chrysler gets a ton of tires from Goodyear and the like and the ones that don't pass their tests for balance and roundness are then sent back to the manufacturers and go back into the distribution chain and become the ones that ultimately end up at these discount vendors. He mentioned this was true for a large number of automotive parts, like say ring and pinion gears. To me this seems so plausible and the whole conversation that started it was about ring and pinions. He said he only installs them from the dealer because the crunch rate from a "Drivetrain Direct" or "Randy's Ring & Pinion" was greater.
>
> So, factually based conspiracy?

Certainly seemed plausible. Past tense. After everything with all
those Firestone tires exploding and (I think it was Firestone, maybe
someone else) delaminating a year or 2 ago, you can bet everyone in the
tire business is being much more careful about selling "factory seconds"
like the shoes you find at the outlet mall with 2 crooked stitches.

Yes, I realize that the Explorer tires exploding was as much Ford's
fault for recommending that the tires be underinflated, but people still
associated "Firestone Wilderness A/T" with tires blowing out more
readily than "Ford tire pressure recommendations".