Re: New Tire Time--> Siping

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 11:10:10 EST

At 11:54 PM 12/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Bill Pitz wrote:
>>At 09:47 PM 12/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>>It's funny that you say that, because I have always heard the opposite
>>>with siping. I had my BFG Mud Terrains siped about 6 months after
>>>purchase. I noticed they were a little quieter on the highway and the
>>>traction was undeniably better in general. After having these tires now
>>>for 35,000 miles the look like they are only 1/3 worn, although I am
>>>doing a five tire rotation.
>>>
>>>Just my experience with siping tires.
>>
>>The newer design of the BFG All-Terrain is siped from the factory.
>>Treadwear on the newer (siped, among other things) design is
>>significantly better than the older designs. Traction is great, too. I
>>have about 20,000 miles on mine and have barely worn any of the tread
>>off. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 5th tire to rotate in. I
>>don't want to do it now because I'm probably going to buy some larger
>>rims (and consequently need new tires) in the next year or two.
>>In any event, I love these tires, and they sure beat the pants off the
>>stock Goodyears. (Though that didn't take much)
>>-Bill
>
>Been a while since we've had a BFG A/T KO love-fest here :) I put mine on
>almost 2 years ago, nearly 30,000 miles, after a near-accident experience
>w/ the Goodyears (http://www.dakota-truck.net/ARCHIVES/0101/0079.html) I
>*will* be purchasing BFG again - I'm showing some wear now at 28K but have
>more tread than the Goodyears did at the same mileage - and they are very
>solid in just about every condition I've driven them in.

They are great tires, no question about it. In my experience so far, they
handle far better than the Goodyears in every driving condition. I
replaced the Goodyears way early because the treat was already wearing way
down and the performance absolutely sucked in even the slightest bit of mud.

I've even noticed that they corner a bit better on curvy mountain
roads. They're a little bit louder at freeway speeds, but I kinda like the
sound :) I'll definitely be buying another set.

-Bill