Stolen Sound Systems

From: Fred Probst (fred@flinthills.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 13:02:07 EST

After more years than I want to think about of investigating crimes, I
couldn't begin to tell you how many vehicle burglaries I've worked where a
vehicle's sound system was stolen, starting with 8 tracks back in the '60s.

Sometimes we get the bad guys, sometimes not. But when we do get them, one
of the questions we ask is, "Why did you pick this particular vehicle to
steal the sound system from?" I thought some of you may be interested in
the top reasons they target a particular vehicle. So in no particular order,
here they are.

1. The owner kept cruising the neighborhood with his sounds thumpin, so I
knew what he had and just watched where he parked. (If your going to cruise
with your music playing, don't do it in you own back yard. Your just telling
the bad guy what you have and where you live.)

2. He had sound decals in his windows. You know, "Bose, Kenwood, Punch,
etc., (Don't advertise on the outside about what you got on the inside.)

3. I watched him install the equipment at his apartment / house. (If you
install the equipment yourself, don't do it in your yard or even
neighborhood, where you can be seen.)

4. I saw those Bose speakers sitting in his window.

5. I installed the sound system in his truck where I work(ed). (This is a
hard one to prevent, but a lot of these thieves work for legitimate
businesses that sell and install stereo equipment. So they install your
system on Monday, steal it on Wednesday, and then re-sell it and re-install
it in their backyard on Friday. Then the guy we recover it from says, "Duh,
I didn't know it was stolen. I just thought 80% off was a good deal.)

By the way, alarms do not stop your seasoned burglar. When the alarm goes
off they will cut the battery cables to stop the alarm and then back off to
see what happens. If no one shows up they move back in and take the goodies.
Very few people will even turn their head when an alarm goes off, especially
in an area where they go off daily. About 15 seconds, without hurrying, is
all that is needed to smash a window, pop the hood latch, walk to the front
of the vehicle, lift the hood and cut the cables. We have even had them
steal the alarm system.)

Try to think "Sleeper", so no one knows what is really on the inside, until
it's time to come out and play.

Hope this was helpful.

Fred