Re: Spark Plug Gappers

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 22:14:35 EST

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:

: Hi all,

: Anyone using the plyer type of plug gapper? I'm looking
: at this type so that I can use it quickly and accurately
: at the track.

: I've read that the Dr. Jacob"s one is the cat's meow but it's
: a bit, make that a lot, pricey for me :-)

: So, I'm wondering if anyone is using another make, how much
: and ease of use. TIA.

  Bob,

  I have a pair I got a few years ago from JC Whitney. I think they
were about $10, but I see they have them on sale or clearance now
for less than $5! At that price, maybe I'll pick up another pair
for myself! :-)

   I don't have any experience with similar gappers, but these seem
OK. (They are cheap, but seem to do a good job, especially for the
price.) I modified mine slightly - flipping the little gapping disk
over so that I could read the numbers from underneath - otherwise
the part that pushes down on the electrode blocks the numbers.

  I would also probably use the numbers on the gapper as a general
guide - gap a plug a couple of times and compare to a known good
gauge, so that you are sure you are getting the actual gap that you
want.

   They have a little indentation on the side of one of the handles
which you can use to open up the electrode. The procedure is to open
up the electrode a bit, put the plug in place with the gapping disk
between the electrode and the core, move the dial to the gap you want,
then just squeeze the handle. Pretty easy to use, and very fast,
especially handy for when you've got to gap a bunch of plugs.
Mine has had more use than usual lately thanks to the Cuda's new
heads and the Ram top end rebuild.

   I'm not sure how JC ships to Canada, but as always, if you would
like to have them shipped to my place, you are more than welcome to
do so. I suspect I will be seeing you at Performance World. Actually,
if you are planning to ship them to my place, just let me know first;
I will be placing a JC whitney order within the next several days,
and I'd be glad to add the gappers to my order to save you some shipping.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'