Re: Gen2 Front CV Shaft Replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 00:40:02 EST

David Henry wrote:
> Anyone ever pull out and replace the front CV driveshaft on a Gen 2 4x4?
> I've ignored my punctured Inner CV boot and it's now making yucky noises.
> Acording to the FSM it should be fairly easy, and the only thing I really
> need to do is pull off the wheel, a cotter pin and nut on the outside, and 6
> bolts on the other. Is it really this easy, or will there be a bunch of
> other stuff that needs to be pulled to really get it off and back in? Glad
> it should warm up to the 20's this weekend.
>
> David Henry
> 94' CC Sport 4x4; V8, 5sd, Lifted BFG 33" MT; Plow

Technically it should be that easy. I attempted a CV removal myself
once - - during my infamous "wheel stud" incident. I gave up when I
couldnt get the bolts out that fasten the CV to the axle. I wasn't
going about it right - - I realized that about $150 later (don't ask).

According to your signature - yours is a 94 - and a plow? expect those
bolts to be frozen in place nice and solid. Buy and use PB Blaster - or
as I call it "nut buster" heh comes in a spray can, yellow plastic top
   ... thats all I have to say. Soak the hell out of the bolts with the
stuff - let it sit at least a day before you plan to attempt the job. It
will be much easier.... I love that stuff - I could drink it its such a
wonderful substance. (dont drink it) I havn't found a nut or bolt that
it didn't get free.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/