Re: Install new stereo head unit

From: Brian Gillan (bgillan@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 21:42:34 EST

Ok, I installed my new head unit runing 12ga for ground to a grounding stud
on the left kick panel and ran 12ga right to the fuse block as recommended
by the installtion instructions. Everything worked great until I tried to
play a CD, but then I would get no sound. It turns out I have the premium
(that's a stretch!) sound package in my truck. Anyway, the wiring harness
adpater I got had the power antenna lead from the radio matched to the
amplifier turn-on lead in the truck harness, and when the CD is used the
power to that lead is turned off, turning off the factory amplifier in he
truck. So, I was told to simply swap the power antenna lead coming from the
head unit with the amplifier turn on lead. Easy enough. Now I get sound when
I'm playing CDs.

Now my question is, if the truck already has an amplifier in it, and I'm
running the output of my Alpine unit through it, seems like a less than
optimal setup. The Alpine unit is rated for 60W/channel. Isn't this going to
overload the amplifier that was already there? I found the amplifier behind
the passenger kick panel thanks to some prior posts to this group. Does
anyone have a wiring diagram? I'd like to try it bypassing the factory
installed amp. Does anyone else have this situation? I would think running
the Alpine directly to teh speakers would produce better sound.

Brian