Install new stereo head unit

From: bgillan@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 13:31:25 EST

I have a '97 SLT CC I'm installing a new stereo head unit in. It's an Alpine
cd/MP3 unit that requires a lot of current (20A). The installation instructions
state that a 20A circuit is required and they even recommend connecting the
main supply line directly to the battery, or fuse block. I have harness
adapters that allow the unit to plug directly into the existing wiring harness,
but the fuse in the radio circuit is only rated for 10A. My first question is
would it be safe to use that same circuit and replace the fuse with a 20A, or
would that be dangerous and risk a potential fire. I didn't know if the 10A
fuse was there because that's all the stock radio would require or if it's 10A
because that's all the wiring can handle.

If the existing circuit isn't capable of supplying 20A, anyone got any
suggestions for wiring that would avoid me having to go through the firewall
and directly to the battery?

Thanks, Brian