RE: 4.7 vs 3.9 gas consumption?

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 08:39:36 EST

Hey Punch (and all)!

Between my two trucks, I have a 1mpg advantage for my 3.9L when comparing
the best tanks. They are both manual, 4X2s but the 3.9L is a RC vs. the 4.7L
in a CC.

3.9L
Best tank 21.8mpg
Avg tank 21.0mpg

4.7L
Best tank 20.6mpg
Avg tank 19.5mpg

These numbers are based on traveling at 75mph on the highway with the Extang
tonneau cover. The 3.9L is more susceptible to the wind than the 4.7L. With
both engines, the mileage is affected based on a tail vs. head wind, but the
3.9L is affected the most.

I have no problems with either engine. I have found that following someone,
within 5 truck lengths, helps the mileage. The racing term would be
drafting, but they are very close and professionals on a closed course. Yes,
at 75mph that range is closer than the safety guidelines (1 second for every
10mph -- remember that from drivers ed?!?), but every penny counts when we
are only getting 20mpg with our babies ;)

Basically, the less harsh the acceleration then better overall mileage
numbers we will get. Thus, highway numbers are better than the city - good
ol' Sir Isaac Newton's first law of physics....objects in motion want to
stay in motion, objects at rest want to remain at rest.

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 256,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1 - 71,400mi!
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU