Re: V6 To V8 Swap

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 03:51:29 EST

Sam South wrote:
> I'm sure this has been gone over before, but with only a dial up connection
> and being a complete lazy ass, I can't talk myself into looking through the
> archives, so.....what exactly is involved with a V6 to V8 swap in a 5-speed
> 92-95 Dak, aside from the obvious engine, trans., computer? How hard is it
> to change the fuel rail? Can I just wire in two extra injector connections
> to the V6 harness and how exactly is the best way to do that, or do I need a
> V8 harness? What about motor mounts, trans. crossmember, cooling system,
> front coil springs and any other swap issue I haven't mentioned? Any and all
> help would be greatly appreciated, because at this point my only option to
> starting another Dak project is starting with a V6 because V8 RC 5-speed's
> are impossible to find here in Texas. Thanks gang!!!
>
> Sam South
> (currently Dakless)

well having done quite a bit of research on this topic myself - - I can
offer you the following info:

V6-V8 swapps are not that complicated (yeah right Tom)... You do need
pretty much everything from a V8 truck. You may as well shop around for
a good donor - engine and trans running or not - if you are building up
the V8 or going to get a short or long block - you really want to have
the complete wire harness from the V8 to put in the V6. I wouldnt
recommend trying to jurry-rig a V6 into a V8 harness. And why mess with
adding injectors to the fuel rails? you can pick up a V8 manifold and
its componants from a bone yard engine.

You need the engine computer (make sure its a computer forom a manual
tranny donor truck - you dont want the computer trying to shift for a
trans that doesnt exist) - the compete engine harness - I dont know if
there are fuel pressure differences - you need to check to see if the
pressure requirements are different - though I think this is an issue
for someone going from a premag engine to a magnum engine. (but check
anyway - you may end up having to swap fuel tanks/pumps)

The frame should be able to handle the extra weight without mods -
crossmembers should be fine too. I assume you are going to swap a 318
engine??

  I dont know if the coil springs from a V6 are rated to handle V8
weight - check to see if 2wd V6 and V8 coil spring part numbers are
different - if they are the same - you hav no problem. If they are
differnt - odds are you might need V8 springs.

  I'm tired - prolly forgot some stuff - if I remember anything else
I'll post

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/