Re: RE: Summer Projects - Need opinions...

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 12:36:13 EST

""RayB"" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:DHELJEKAGJCDGEGBEHHJAEKLCNAA.bpracing@worldnet.att.net...

> From the truth in advertising dept........ :-)
>
> If that's your only motivation and your clutch fan is operating properly
you
> might want to save your money. I went to electric fans to enable quicker
> cool down between rounds at the track but saw absolutely no difference in
> performance.
>
> Those "giant pillars" aren't going to hurt you all. I had the opportunity
> last year to try a F&B 50mm billet TB for a couple months. I have a
Hughes
> cam, M1 2-bbl, headers, etc. and shift at 6000 rpm yet the F&B showed me
no
> gain over my mildly ported stock TB. Mine still had the original
"pillars"
> and was only machined to the full 50mm inside.

Jeez, way to shoot a guy down! ;-) I think I'm still gonna do the TB, it
should be pretty cheap at the wreckers to get one, and it'll be something to
do. But, if having a clutch fan is no big deal, that leaves more money for
getting a SG!

> > A proper tube/fin transmission oil cooler, so that my 11-year-old
> > A-500 will
> > last longer.
>
> Always a good choice. You might find one in the junkyard as I ordered my
> Dak with the trailer towing pkg and it came with one. Otherwise, any of
the
> aftermarket ones would be fine.

If I get an aftermarket one, will it hook up properly to the cooler lines
that go to the bottom of the rad, since up until about 8" from the radiator,
they're metal, and go to opposite sides of the radiator?

> I'd recommend going with a new unit. My Mopar parts manager friend says
> there's no rebuild kit for the OEM units. I would recommend a synthetic
> lube that contains the limited slip friction modifier.

That leaves me wondering how long will those clutch packs last? I don't
want to be screwed just because I bought an 8 1/4 LSD...

Thanks for the help, Ray. Which reminds me, I've still gotta build the
dual-inlet aircan... :-)

-Kyle