RE: night at VMP

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 00:52:09 EST

Congratulations!

> Bad news - The best I could do tonight was a 15.80, which is the
> same as my
> previous best, and that was pretty decent launches tonight.
> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I should probably be pushing low 15's or
> high 14's easy?!?!?!??!?

Ok, I will correct you.....and you are wrong. :-( Here's why...

> Here's what I'm running:
> 97 CC 5.2
> Accell Ignition system

No advantage if your stock system is in good condition.

> JBA 9mm plug wires

No advantage if your stock wires were in good condition.

> Autolite 3923's gapped @.040

No advantage over 3924's unless you experienced pinging.

> F&B 50mm TB

Very minimal gain if any.

> Gibson Catback side swept exhaust

Good.

> Car Sound Cat

Good.

> Hypertech PCM

Good.

> 1.7 Crower Rockers

Small gain if rockers are adjusted properly.

> IAT Adjuster (did not use)

Small gain in fuel enrichment, assuming you were already lean. Otherwise it
could hurt.

> Mopar chome Valve Covers

50 horsepower, at least! :-) Got any decals? ;-)

> I'm definitely getting some spark knock when the engine is hot and I'm
> pushing it (180 T-stat going back in tommorrow, spring is here).

Agreed, definitely go back to 180.

> My 15.80 run was when my engine was fairly cool. I do notice that it does
not seem
> to shift right when I'm running at the track.

I experienced that too. First, check your fluid level per the FSM. Second,
you can adjust the Throttle Valve cable for a higher upshift.

> I'm sure getting the 180
> t-stat will help my times be more consistant, but doubt it'll get me any
> faster than the 15.80.

It will help with consistency and might give you a small performance
increase.

What you're not considering, beyond the inflated performance claims for the
items I noted above, is that your speed in the quarter is the primary
indicator of horsepower, not your ET. The weather has a major influence on
your performance and without the right gauges you won't even feel some of
the differences. I have seen weather changes in the same event that have
caused differences up to 2 tenths and a couple MPH. Any number of things
can cause a difference in ET but if the weather is consistent from one day
to another your speed will be the same unless you add/lose some horsepower.
For instance, I've run my best speed (100.54) on a day when my ET was 2
tenths slower than my best. Wind and track conditions made the difference.

Bottom line, with the exception of the cat, 1.7 RR, and Hypertech (I use MP
PCM) I have tested each of the items you use. With the consistency of my
truck and over 1500 documented runs over the past 10 years I have proven
that the parts I addressed negatively offered no performance increase over
stock parts in good condition.

The only way you're going to get into the 14's is to add about 80 horsepower
or lose about 800 pounds. I started at 15.85 and am now at 13.74 and my
truck weighs a lot less than yours. Check the link in my sig to see what
worked.

RayB