Re: Wheel Spacers?

From: Ron Sobers (ron@rsx1.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 10:09:59 EDT

Ummmm - stupid question here, aren't wheel spacers a bad thing? It offsets
your steering line, and other such things like front end geometry. Like
those silly people that put 18" wide wheels with centers al the way to the
inside (9" negative offset? or is it a positive offset?) on an Escort. When
I worked at a little shop a few years ago, they were always coming in with
ball joint & axle problems (the wheels affected the geometry of the front
end that much). Wouldn't a wheel with the correct offset/backspacing be a
better solution? At that point your steering geometry is still correct,
where as with spacers, you are actually pushing the geometry outward
(causing a 40 acre u-turn effect). By no means am I an engineer, but I don't
think I'm just talking out my butt either :-)

~Ron .... Denver, CO
ICQ#26868681
WWW.RSX1.com

'67 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (For Sale)
'68 Dodge Dart GT
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (Parting)
'89 Shelby CSX-VNT #007
'98 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4