8 1/4 Rebuild - 27 or 29 Spline?

From: B1LLYW@aol.com
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 19:08:27 EDT

Due to "budgetary constraints", I may have to hold of on a Currie 9"/Dana 60,
etc. for my '95. With it getting a 408 though,a nd with 91K on the stock
rear, I still want to at least do a rebuild on the 8 1/4. Not the best
scenario, but I don't race and if I can squeak a year out of the rebuild, I'd
be happy.

I'm thinking of doing all new. Gears, new lsd, forged axles, all new bearings
and seals. Now Gen II trucks have the older 27 spline axles. Gen III trucks
have better, 29 spline axles. I had an idea for an upgrade.

I'm buying a new lsd anyway. If I buy an lsd for a 29 spline rear and I have
Moser cut me a set of custom 29 spline axles in the correct length for my
'95, can I still use my '95 8 1/4 housing? I think I should be able to. The
housing doesn't have anything to do with spline count, does it?

If this will work, it doesn't cost me much more than doing a straight up
rebuild. The 29 spline lsd for '97 and up trucks is actually cheaper than
the 27 spline unit. A set of off the shelf 27 spline forged axles will cost
between $250 and $300. I can get Moser to cut a set of custom 29 spline
axles to fit my ''95 for only $310.

So, in my long and convoluted way, this seems like a no brainer to me if I
can use my housing. Opinions?

Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com

'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
'95 Dakota CC 4x2, SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD