Twisted Dak?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 13:40:21 EDT

Hey all-

  The other day I was walking to my truck (2000 V6 2WD with the "tire &
handling package"), and looking from the back, it looked like my bed
was twisted. The back right corner looked low, but the front of the
bed looked level. At the time, I had an empty tank, but I still saw it
after a fill-up.

  I crawled underneath (while parked on level ground) and didn't see
anything broken or damaged off hand- I was suspecting a spring. I
measured a number of points to the ground, and the biggest difference
is at the very back of the frame (near the hitch mounting points). The
right side is almost an inch closer to the ground than the left. I
measured to the axle, and it's perfectly level (ruling out the tires).
Many of my measurements showed a similar lean, but it wasn't
consistent. The front is pretty close to level.

  Now, it may have always been this way and I never noticed, but I
doubt it. I've never hauled anything over the spec. weight, and even
near spec, the load has always been centered well. No accidents, heavy
towing, autocross, etc. either. A friend of mine has noticed a similar
issue with his quad cab, and he attributes it to sliding the rear end
through corners, and the twist happening when the tires hook back up.
My V6 won't do that though!

  Anyone else notice the same thing, or have any thoughts? Is this
normal?

Thanks,
Korey Atterberry