RE: RE: O2 code/Fluctuating Idle/Gasket Recomendations

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 04:16:07 EDT

On mine I use a thin bead of Permatex Ultra Copper on the header lands. Let
it set up for a few minutes, then stick the gasket to it. A couple header
bolts (I use ARP stainless) will hold the gasket in place on the header.
Wait a few more minutes and then attach to head. I do not use rtv on the
head side of the gasket. Snug up all bolts and then tighten from the
center out.

> I used Fel-Pro's but

I use the MP gaskets (same as original DT in '94) and have never blown one
in 9 years. For the first few weeks after installation I could tighten the
bolts a little more after every engine cool down. Once it got to the point
where they didn't loosen again (actually the gasket quit compressing any
more) I only checked them when I did oil changes. It took 8 years before a
couple of them (drivers side rear) could be turned again. I have just now
replaced the gaskets when I installed new heads.

> was thinking of trying the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal. <snip> Anyone try
these? > Thanks,> James

I've used them on my collector flanges. They will crack unless you also use
a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper on them. :-( In this case they will be
re-useable. :-)

RayB