Re: Cleaning a K&N

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 11:20:07 EDT

I usually do mine once in the spring and once in the fall. That way I get
all the winter road salt crap off of it, as well as all of the dirt and dust
from driving on dirt roads in the summer - i do LOTS of camping. From what
I've found it's easier to get the right amount on there with the aerosol can
type oil.. just give er' a quick few sprays and you're done.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

"Jayson Woodruff" <woodrufj@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ED4C9E6.7040100@yahoo.com... > > Yes, very possible to over oil. We had a K&N guy come and talk to a > group of mine. He said 90% of people over oil when cleaning. He said > the oil is colored so you can see what you've oiled. Just getting the > filter to turn pink is good. Any more coating and it will restrict air > flow and collect dirt faster. > > Additionally, an '01 probably didn't need to be cleaned yet. They're > suposedly good up until the dirt level is covering the wire mesh. Most > of the time (~10-20Kmi) you can just bang in on the sidewalk and let > the big dirt particles fall out. > > All above is from the K&N guy. > > Jay W > 505/287 Dakota > > Jonathan Lumpkin wrote: > > Hey there, we cleaned and re-oiled the filter chargers in my Oldsmobile and > > the GF's 2001 Dakota Sport. > > > > I was just curious, is it possible to oil them to much? They were covered > > good, and not dripping. I was just curious, because after putting both back > > in the vehicles, and letting them run for a few minutes, the first minute or > > so the idle was a little weird, but then had a better one than before (the > > cleaning) in both vehicles. > > > > And if you over oil, what are symptoms and problems? > > > > Jon > > >