RE: Brake Fluid Color

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 10:15:22 EDT

That is possible Bill, but the brake fluid is like a magnet for dirt and
moisture, so I would not worry that you have done anything abnormal. When
you replace your pads, just replace the fluid then.
I have Hawk pads on my 98 with the Powerslot rotors. The pads have been on
for about a year and a half, and 32,000 miles, (very good life for pads in
my opinion), however, the last few days, the Hawk pads started squealing
like crazy. I purchased Raybestos PG Plus on Bernd's good experience with
them. As I replaced them last night, I noticed that the Hawk pads still had
half their surface left, however, on the Hawk pads, there is a vinyl
backing, (I guess to help prevent brake noise), and on all four pads, this
vinyl piece was slipping out of place and this likely caused my squealing.
The Raybestos pads do not have this piece. Hopefully, they do not need it.
The Hawks stopped well, and lasted a long time, but I thought I would try
the Raybestos this time around. I bled all my brakes while I was at it and
replaced all the fluids so its nice and clear, (for now).

Rascal