Re: How To Touch-up Chrome Plating?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 12:17:45 EDT

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:32:15 -0400, Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com
("Wisotzkey, Rich") wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in touching up chrome? The
>chrome on my front bumper is getting that milky appearance, and I have a
>little scratched up spot on my rear bumper that I'd like to touch up somehow
>from backing into a piece of concrete. I was looking at having both of them
>replated until I found out what that was going to cost. $400-$500 to
>rechrome each one! OUCH!!! Guess I'll just buy a new front bumper instead,
>and try to touch up the rear one. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
>me know.

Before giving up on the front bumper, I'd try some chrome polish. I
like the Mothers stuff that comes in a small can.. seems to work well.
At only a couple of bucks for the can, it's worth a shot. It might
restore a little bit of the shine to your front bumper so you can
delay replacing it for a while.

When I get to that point, I think I'm going to repaint my front bumper
to match the body. I've seen it on some other Daks, and I like the
combination of the chrome grille with the painted bumper.

-Bill