FIXED re: TB Mod Problems: DTC P0121 and DTC P0133 (long)

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 21:02:59 EDT

Ouch :-(. I get back home and find out that your phone number has been made
public for
one and for all...

That said, I ended up chickening out and taking my truck to Maxwell Dodge
South.
The result? Bad TPS, which was replaced. So, half a day and a couple hundred
bucks
later, I have my truck back.

Wish I had known earlier which dealership you were working at, I would have
taken it
there in a heartbeat... I'll guarantee you I'll go there next time, now that
I know.

Now I need to slap the Hypertech programmer back on it and take it out of
stock trim, and
I should be all set. As it stands, it seems to be running strong. Of course,
it doesn't shift as
firm anymore since the TPS mod is gone, but I can live with that for now.

One thing I did notice - the elusive "it takes fewer rpm to go the same
speed" effect is
definitely at work in my truck now. I have 3.92 gearing. It used to take
2000 rpm to go
65 mph, and 2500 rpm at 80 mph. Now, I am running 2000 rpm and 67 mph, and
2500 rpm and 83 mph. It also sounds like it wants to suck the hood in when I
floor it ;-).

So, here are the mods on my truck so far:

- 180 deg. thermostat
- 8mm JBA plug wires
- brass cap and rotor
- Autolite 3923 plugs at stock gap (.040)
- Intense Performance intake with 7" Power Stack filter
- shaved TB with bores ported
- S-Bolt (which the machine shop was able to modify to my specs)
- Hypertech Power Programmer III (soon... I was running in 93 octane trim
etc.)

I'll give the 'puter a chance to relearn everything once I make sure it's
all buttoned together
properly. Otherwise, looking forward to having the old beast back :-).

Have fun,

--
John Bell
'00 QC SLT+ 4x4 5.9 3.92LSD 46RE NV242 *** vroom vroom ***

<bernd@texas.net> wrote in message news:200306251635.h5PGZbl10331@mail1.aus1.texas.net... > > > Hehehehe...no problem John. > > You can call me at the house after 6pm tonight - (512) 989-6385 (Please keep > this number to yourself). > > I've got all of my equipment at the house and can take care of it for you as > well. > > It doesn't sound like anything too serious, but I do have an extra IAC and TPS > at the house...just in case. > > - Bernd > > > > > > Bernd, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated. > > > > I can tell you that the bore where the TB plates sit is stock - he did not > > remove the > > shafts and butterflies when he milled the TB, because he had trouble working > > out > > the shaft screws that hold the plates in place (he couldn't back them out). > > > > What he -did- do was bore it up to a point (about 10mm) -above- where the > > butterflies sit, leaving it at stock bore the rest of the way down. There is > > no visible > > gap between the throttle plates and the TB housing. > > > > Since that part is "stock" (ha ha), I am guessing that the culprit is more > > likely that > > the TPS, IAC, and/or throttle linkage itself was not put back together > > correctly. > > What I need is someone who is a mechanic and knows what they're doing (in > > other words, not me -or- the machinist ;-) ) to take a look at it and see > > what needs > > to be fixed. > > > > This is work I would definitely be willing to pay for. In fact, I wouldn't > > mind sending > > the work your way if you are willing to do it. If it sounds like something > > you have the > > time/inclination to do, send an e-mail my way at: > > > > john_bell_2@hushmail.com > > > > We can work out terms & rates through that channel. > > > > Thanks again, > > -- > > John Bell > >