Re: Re[2]: forum

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 00:08:57 EDT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:40:22 -0400, havenx@ksni.net ("Danny Burrows")
wrote:

>That would be hard as hell to script, however I do have an idea. Each user
>would log on to the forum with a user name and password that would activate
>a pop server and display all there mail on the page. When someone wants to
>post something its stored on the server.... like I said though, that would
>be a hard one to script. However there is the problem of copys of things
>being posted in a loop...

Actually that'd be a piece of cake to script. I've got various PHP
classes and functions stashed away that would do all of that and then
some. The real trouble is the resources involved. Where would you be
popping the mail from? Ever DML user would have a (free, mind you)
pop account somewhere where all of the messages would be stored?

What'd be easier is a web-based interface to the newsgroup, so that
there is only one copy of the messages (a copy that already exists, in
fact).

Still, the only way I can see that being particularly useful is for
people who are out of town or otherwise away from their regular
computers to read and post.

-Bill