Re: Maintenance list Questions

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 18:17:28 EDT

"Craig" <2kdaksport@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0HH300C23Z0R3U@mtaout01.icomcast.net...

> Ok I just got my 2k Dak about 6 months ago and subscribed to the list
about
> a month ago. I've got about 55k on the truck and with all the recent
posts
> about bearings and timing chains... I'm getting a little worried. I've
done
> the normal 3k oil changes

I wouldn't be worried, you should be ok if you're not hearing any weird
noises.

> I went through the Owner's manual(haven't broken down and gotten the FSM
> yet)and came up with a short list of things I haven't done yet that I
think
> I should do. With questions about each! Those of you that have had your
> Daks since they were new or have been around them for a while, please
chime
> in with your sound advice!

Buy a FSM... I know you can do it on the web, but here's the phone number if
you choose to do it that way. (800) 890-4038

> 1)Wheel bearings.
> Now that it's been mentioned I HAVE noticed a little bit of a hum coming
> from up front. The manual says "Clean and repack if required" So are
they
> sealed or not?

I've got a 2K dak as well, the wheel bearings are sealed and the part number
for new ones (should you need it) is 52009528AE. I don't know if there's a
different part # for trucks with 4wheel ABS or not. (mine does not have
4wheel ABS) The way I determined that the bearings were bad was to look at
them, and if you see grease weeping out from around the hub nut, it's time
to replace them. Oh, if you check out the koller dodge website
(www.kollerdodge.com) they usually have good deals on parts. I know that
some of the others on the list go through Tenafly Chrysler Jeep, but Koller
is within driving distance for me, I order on the web and then pick the part
up to avoid shipping charges and still get the discounted price.

> 2)Spark Plugs and Cables.
> No real questions here unless someone wants to chime in with the best
> possible plugs and wires for the 3.9

When I did mine last time, I ordered a tune up kit from Accel (TST-10)
through summit racing, but believe that muscletrucks.net sells the same
thing for a very comprable price. The general consensus for plugs is
Autolite 3923's, and I usually gap mine at .038... however if you get the
kit, it comes with the "u-groove" plugs, which I've found that I like better
than the Autolites.

> 4)Transfer Case. Drain and refill
> What the heck?? Need a little help here!

Only if your truck is a 4x4, which by your pics, it's not....

> 5)AT fluid and filter.
> I just read the owners manual and it said there is no plug?? What?!? I
gotta
> take off the whole pan? Is there a AT filter on the 3.9?

You have to drop the pan to change the trans fluid and filter... The filter
screen is in the pan. Get yourself the gasket from dodge (it's very nice)
and a filter (I got mine from my "friendly" dodge dealer) and a nice big
foil turkey pan and some old towels. Start at a corner, loosen the bolts
and drop the pan, be careful! fluid will POUR everywhere. Refill with about
5quarts down the dipstick and drive it around (nicely) to get it good and
hot. Run it through all the gears and park it on a level surface. With the
motor idling in neutral, check the level and adjust as required.

> BTW I finally posted some pictures of my Dakota. Nothin' fancy but I sure
> like it!
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/2kdaksport/index.htm

Truck looks great Craig!!! I've always wanted to get some shots of my truck
on grass... I'm jealous. Also, congrats on your new purchase! I hope that
some of this information helps. If you have any questions about anything
that I've written, feel free to shoot me an email.

Oh, and here's mine, should you like to look at it.
www.geocities.com\lenny187\dakota.html

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L