Re: leaking t-case, driveline maint.

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 23:50:35 EDT

On Wednesday, Jul 9, 2003, at 20:05 America/New_York, Jeffery B.
Denning wrote:

> As I've recently learned, the output shaft seal on 44RE transmissions
> (4spd atx)

46RE for me.... not much difference between the three, though.

> have a habit of springing leaks (I paid $300 to get it fixed,
> including flush and filters).

hmm. is the replacement seal better than original or is this just
something that'll happen again?
::read read read::
okay, it looks like this is just a normal wear part. but it also looks
like something that wouldn't be too horrible to replace. I'd just need
to pull the drive shafts and t-case, pull the seal and pound a new one
in. aside from never having dropped drive shafts and a t-case, that
doesn't sound too bad -- especially since I don't have to drop the
tranny which sounds like it would be a bitch without the right tools
and a decent garage.

I think I'll make a note to buy parts next week and do this on my 4 day
so-far-free weekend the week before the BBQ.

anyone have any thoughts on whether I should bother doing anything
U-joint-wise since I'll be ripping things apart anyway? approaching
100k miles I'd think it wouldn't be a *bad* idea....
and as long as I'm thinking about the drive line and u-joints, I'm sure
someone has something to say about a drive shaft hoop. obviously a
decent idea to have one, but all I know about them is conceptual. buy
one or fab one? bolt on or weld on? how strong, how close can I get
it to the drive shaft (if I snap it off while trying to high-center it
doesn't do me much good), etc.

> Mine began leaking at about 39K mi.; the fluid appeared on the TC.

I'm sorry you didn't have an extended warranty. I'd have been covered
if it started before 80k, but I'm at 95 now.

> I put up with it dripping for a couple
> of months before getting it fixed -- all the while watching trans
> fluid level closely.

I'll have to make a note to remember to do that...

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech