RE: Blackstone oil analysis question(s)

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:52:54 EDT

I looked up some air/oil filter tests lat night and I found a site (bookmarked, but at home) that was from some industrial place that had tried to switch to K&N air filters , and had figured out that the K&N's werent filtering nearly as well as the paper ones. Now, I realize there is no free lunch, and increased airflow HAS to include more junk, but my question is "how much is too much?" I will replace my PCV, etc and see what happens...

>>> jndneff@texas.net 07/16/03 11:47PM >>>

Barry, take a look at my analysis sheet from Blackstone.
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/blackstone2.jpg
I too have been running a K&N air filter for a long time. Long time being about 100K
miles. My lead average is 1ppm and silicon average is 14ppm. It sounds like you could have
a leak somewhere in the intake before the TB that is letting unfiltered air into the
engine. Or, you could also have a leaking PCV or breather grommet. Increased silicon
levels could very likely be the cause for the elevated lead in your oil. I also have been
running Mobil 1 10W-30 year round for about 110K miles with nothing but Mobil 1 filters.

John - waiting for my next change to see if my iron levels go down since I swapped
rockers.
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
Hey guys, I just got a blackstone report done on my truck, and now I need some assistance
on what it all means. The only things that worry me are that they found "lead, from
bearings, higher than expected, and twice the average" [30ppm] and they say my "air
filtration could be improved (see silicon)" [25ppm]
My truck has 85k on it, and has had K&N air filter, Mobil 1 oil [10w30 winter, 15w50
summer] and K&N or Mobil 1 oil filters most of it's life. This test was with the 10w30.
<unsnip>