RE: Blackstone oil analysis question(s)

From: John_Neff@Dell.com
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 13:13:01 EDT

I've read several such sites. But, my oil analysis does not agree with their
findings. My last analysis was 13ppm silicon is pretty low. Especially
considering the universal average is 24ppm which I guarantee is based on the
vast majority of people using paper filters.

FWIW, the driveway from the road to my house is 1100' long and it's crushed
granite. It doesn't dust bad, but it is far dirtier than a cement drive. The
K&N works fine for me. Something you may want to look at are the K&N
pre-filters which slip over the main filter. K&N recommends these for
vehicles operating in high dust areas. You can spot these on a lot of the
sand rails and off road racers.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
I looked up some air/oil filter tests lat night and I found a site
(bookmarked, but at home) that was from some industrial place that had tried
to switch to K&N air filters , and had figured out that the K&N's werent
filtering nearly as well as the paper ones. Now, I realize there is no free
lunch, and increased airflow HAS to include more junk, but my question is
"how much is too much?" I will replace my PCV, etc and see what happens...
<unsnip>