common flaws

From: Brian T. Carter (Brian.Carter@texian.org)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 16:54:41 EDT

Mostly I lurk on this list (for nearly 4 years now) and search when I
need to find something. I've noticed that many others have had problems
with front calipers sticking and door locks.

My driver's side door lock went out within 20 months (but after I hit
36K miles!). Now the passenger side door lock has the same problem. The
driver's side window motor has come ungrounded.

I have replaced the rotors twice, first with PowerSlots, now with
Raybestos slotted and cross-drilled. This last time, I replaced the
calipers and drums also (Raybestos). Immediately afterwards, I had to
replace the master cylinder. Less than 2500 miles later, the rotors are
warped again. If I had the money, I would spend $3000 and get the whole
Stillen kit with 6 piston calipers.

I drove an '85 Bronco II for 10 years (150K miles and a new engine) - no
warping. My Grand Cherokee - no warping either (140k miles). My company
car (Ford Escape) is only at 8500 miles, but no warping.

I love the Dakota. It looks great, it has awesome power...but why do all
the little things keep breaking? What am I doing wrong with the brakes?

Brian T. Carter