Re: common flaws

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 06:33:07 EDT

As far as your brakes go, I have to ask a couple of quick questions. 1st
are you properly torquing the front wheel lug nuts down to the proper spec?
I don't have my owners manual handy (I'm at work and can't get to the
parking lot for a while) but I'm sure if you look in there you'll find the
correct pattern. Whenever I remove my front wheels, I torque them to 100
ft/lbs. Proper wheel lug torque is crucial to keeping the rotors in good
shape. 2nd, when you changed the pads last time, did you take time to
properly bed them in? If you aren't familiar with this process, it involves
making 10 stops from 60-0 starting out taking a long time to slow down and
progressively stopping hard/quicker then allowing the vehicle to sit until
the brakes cool to ambient temp. FWIW, I have nearly 106K miles on my
truck, have only changed the front pads once, and have never had the rotors
turned. They are getting due again here soon and I'm starting to feel a
faint pulse in the pedal when I stomp on the binders, so I think I'll be
replacing the rotors and pads at the same time. I'm still debating which
rotors I want but I know I want the Raybestos PG Plus pads.

HTH,

Ray Irons
Dover, DE