Re: Re: Coke!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 23:32:11 EDT

"J Wynia" <jwynia@pragmapool.com> wrote:

: I've been saying for years that the real cause of America's obesity
: problem is Coke and other soft drinks with sugar in them. Everybody
: seems to be blaming the snack foods, but, given how much soda most
: people drink, that's the real problem. Compare the number of calories in
: a McDonald's meal with a quarter-pounder, fries and large Coke. The Coke
: has pretty much the same number of calories (450) as the greasy
: hamburger or the deep fried french fries. Just take a look at the fact
: that we've gone from 8 ounce bottles of soda to 20 ounces and they're
: getting even bigger. Then add the trend in "energy" drinks that have
: even MORE calories per ounce and you've got to wonder. I know I feel a
: whole lot more full after a quarter-pounder than after a large Coke. If
: I'm going to down 450 calories, I at least want to have something of
: substance in my stomach.

  You probably have something there... The caffine certainly doesn't
help either, and they are loaded with carbs (mostly from the sugar,
I would guess). I drink a lot of it - have been known to down a 2 liter
at a sitting ;-) but recently I have tried to stop drinking caffinated
beverages (not to go on a diet or anything, just because I figured
drinking all that caffine couldn't be good for me) and have lost around
10 lbs without any other dietary or excersize changes.

  Dak content: Its still a good post-BBQ alternator cleaner. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'