Re: The Aftermath of the 2003 DML BBQ.

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 00:47:11 EDT

***Anyone "near" western new york, please read on***

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 08:21 PM, SilverEightynine@earthlink.net
wrote:

> Well here is the story. I'm still at Jon's now.

damn. and there I thought we were home free....

> Mike and Jon helped me get
> the fuel pump in. We pulled the bed off and raised it with Jon's
> lift. The
> engine runs good - - does not idle well but it runs.

I think we'll all put bets on the idle air control pump, for what it's
worthd

> However there is something
> wrong with the transmission. The truck has no power at all. It stalls
> out and
> could barely crawl up Jons driveway and up on the road. I got only a
> couple
> miles before I realized I was not going to make it home with the
> truck. I went
> to turn around and found myself stuck across the two lane highway when
> I was
> trying to back up. The truck had no power and couldnt reverse - I
> nearly got
> t-boned. I had to rev up the engine and dump it in reverse and barely
> got
> back.

I guess we must not have gotten that cleaned out well enough. if you
didn't do any damage to the bands, I'd bet a *very* through flush and
adjusting them would probably get it going again. /if/ there's no
other damage.... I wonder how that didn't show up on the trails
yesterday.

> I'm going to have to leave Christine here and recover it at a later
> date.

well, we didn't talk about this too seriously, but the more I think
about it the more perfectly reasonable it seems to me to tow it back
for you.

a public question for any members between albany and erie: do you own
or know of a flatbed big enough for a long box gen-I that I could
borrow for a 10 day trip? I don't think the truck is up for making it
in one piece if it's on it's own wheels.

Since Tom is 3/4 of the way to my real home, that's my motivation, and
I'd spend a bit of time there, hence the long loan. UHaul wants almost
$200 for a one-way transporter trailer.

> This DML
> BBQ probably saw the most heartache and disaster than any other prior
> DML
> event. However it also brought everyone together and showed how much
> everyone
> cares about one another. Lets hope next year is a better year for us
> all.

granted this was my first DML event, but amen to that. This shows what
a group of good people with little in common but an interest can do
even in the worst of times.

I'm sorry the truck isn't making it back with you at the wheel, Tom.
and in case I didn't mention it earlier, my sincerest condolences to
the Bleazards for Bobby. This was a tough weekend in a lot of ways,
but I'm nothing but glad I was a part of it.

Thanks so much to all involved, especially you, Jon, for putting up
with us year after year =)

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech