Re: Design flaws or just things I am noticing since this is my first MOPAR?

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 01:00:00 EDT

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 12:56 PM, james.zito@ps.ge.com wrote:

> iii. The mileage is terrible. Best tank of gas was 20 mpg doing 80 on
> cruise control on the NJ turnpike. Generally getting 16-17 mpg lately
> has
> dropped to about 15mpg. Is this just because the truck is set up to
> operate
> about 500 rpm under the torque peak? Or is the engine just that
> underpowered for the weight of the truck.

I've never approached 20. a good tank is on the high side of 16. this
isn't a Hundai.... something with 3.55s instead of 3.92s and a 4.7 or
3.9 instead of a 5.2 will do better, but I'd call being close to 20
"great".

if you want geo-like mileage, get one. if you want to make your truck
do you a bit better: drop it, get some slicker tires under it (of
course then you will get the same reaction from adam and I that josh
does ;-) ), smooth out underneath the truck with lightweight skid
plates and somehow blocking the space between the rocker panels and
frame. get off the gas, too (already mentioned).

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>