Re: Re: Trans fluid

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 09:25:50 EDT

"Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> ouch. I hope that was done under warranty.

Yep, they took care of me under warranty. They even suggested that I have
it rebuilt just in case. (that was before I had the problem with overdrive
and didn't know the trans was bad.)

> well, I had my pan off at 97k when I put in my TransGo kit, and it was
> mighty clean in there. and I think you saw two weekends ago how I just
> baby my truck (I tell ya, it's lucky to still be alive with a driver
> who can garner a thumbs up from Adam)

Yeah, from what I saw I'm at least that hard on my truck. Mine's all on the
pavement though. Maybe you just got a "good" one from the getgo.

> did you do the trick shift fluid at the same time as the shift kit? if
> not, what further difference did the trick shift fluid make?

I did the trick shift first actually. About a month before I was ready to
put the shift kit in, I did a fluid only change to the trick shift. Then
after running it for a month I drained it all out, installed the shift kit
and refilled with trick shift again. I did it this way in hopes of getting
as much of the regular fluid out as possible. The fluid by itself made a
pretty decent difference - it caused the trans to shift quicker, harder, and
faster. Then with the addition of the shift kit (installed with the most
agressive settings and I changed the filter this time too) it'll almost snap
your neck at wot sometimes. I say only sometimes because I'm still having
issues with this trans... I ran the stock fluid for about 10k miles after
it was rebuilt and noticed that my peformance was declining, so I pulled the
pan for a fluid/filter change and found a pretty decent amount of shavings
in the pan but I figured that I'd just run with it anyway. It doesn't slip
per-say, but it does get mushy sometimes, usually only when it gets too warm
(like if I'm beating the crap out of it like at an autoX race or something)

Oh and Bernd, I'm still waiting for that explanation of the differences....

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L