Re: Reducing rear end squat when towing (was: Shocks / Spring

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 21:59:09 EDT

"Michael Quigley" <michael9@michael9.com> wrote:
: jon@dakota-truck.net said:
: [Excellent WDH information snipped.]
:>
:> I am partial to Reese products myself, but there are weight
:> distribution setups made by Reese, DrawTite, Putnam, and probably
:> more. A google search should turn up plenty of on-line sources
:> with pics and pricing info.

: I'll definitely check into these. These will help to keep my truck from
: squatting when towing my heavy-tongued trailer?

  Yep! I first became aware of their benefits when Ed (the DMLer from
whom I purchased his WD setup from when he didn't need it anymore) and
myself went to the Oshkosh fly-in a few years back in his 2000 QC towing
his 35' or so travel trailer. With the weight distribution setup, the
truck didn't squat much - looked almost like there was no trailer
attached at all. We saw full size trucks towing similar sized trailers
without the WD setup and they were squatting in the rear something fierce!

  Plus, the WD setup makes for a much more stable ride - a nice benefit
especially over less than perfect roads and in windy conditions. Its
just a safer method all around.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'