Belly Pan Gasket Problem??

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:50:27 EDT

  I removed my throttle body a week or so ago for a good cleaning. When I
removed it I found that it had a coat of oil (fairly clean oil) on the
bottom. It had what I would consider a pretty good amount on it. If I
turned it on it's side it would collect at the bottom and almost drip off.
I don't remember it having any oil at all on it the last time I removed it,
but that has been a long time ago....maybe 40,000 miles or more.
  My question is, is this a sign of a bad belly pan gasket? I have no idea
what this gasket is, but I've seen it mentioned on here a lot. I looked
down through the hole once I had the t-body off to see if I could find any
oil puddle, but I didn't really notice any "puddles". It just looked dirty.
  Another symptom I would think may be pointing towards a bad belly pan
gasket is that the truck has a bad "ping" to it most of the time. It gets
worse in hot weather and under slight to heavy load. The "ping" is pretty
bad. Sometimes it sounds like it's going to rattle itself into a big pile
of pieces.
  If this sounds like a bad belly pan gasket, how hard is it to change? Is
this easy for a person who's never done it, or should I leave it to a
mechanic? Any advice would be great.
Thanks.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon