Toureg (yeah, it's OT)

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 12:34:56 EDT

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 11:36 AM, Josh Battles wrote:

> "Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com> wrote in message
>
>> if a pickup doesn't keep meeting my needs, and I stay close enough to
>> make the pilgrimage, there are good odds that you'll see it's VW
>> counterpart in the Homeland at some point.
>>
>> I drove a couple Touregs this summer and I'm nothing short of amazed.
>> the 7100# tow rating makes a few other dreams possible, too ;-)

> I wouldnt' buy a toureg for at least another year yet. My best friend
> is VW
> mechanic and he tells me that they're ALWAYS in the shop for various
> things.

not all that surprising since it's the first year of a brand new model.
  even so, they're the only 'ute I'd consider owning right now.

the cyanne has the wrong sheetmetal and a way wrong price. I also
liked driving the Volvo XC90, Nissan Murano and my parents are loving
their new-to-them '02 TrailBlazer... (silly bowtie) but I want low
range (trailblazer) and ground clearance (none) and towing ability
(trailblazer, xc90), and handling (murano, xc90).

the Toureg bests my Dak in all of the above, and it will likely be
coming with a stump pulling diesel next year, too. IIRC the engine
they're considering is rated at 385/555 or something unreal like
that....

I'll just need to wait till I can get a used diesel so I won't feel bad
about scratching it ;-) then it can be my daily driver and occasional
offroader, and tow vehicle for the REAL toys.

so jon, what's the combo to that safe in the barn? I think I need to
make use of the Top Secret Steiger Formula For Success.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>