Re: Re: 3.9 smoke on hard accel

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 08:15:54 EDT

<snip> Factory Spec: "Compression should not be less than 689 kPa (100
psi)
<and not vary more than 172 kPa (25 psi) from cylinder to cylinder."
<
<All of the new engines i've checked are all at an average of
<140-150psi.
<
<If the cylinders are all low (at or below 100psi)...either get a
<better compression gauge or you've got a very tired engine (or one
<heck of a vacuum leak).
<
<- Bernd

Thanks Bernd,
      I knew I could count on you to get the exact technical poop. What I
stated was strictly from memory and was a general example of what I learned
a long time ago in high school auto shop.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE