Re: 2002 Quad Cab 4x4 - Shocks, Torsion bars, and Ball Joints questions.

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Mon Oct 13 2003 - 10:29:22 EDT

Miles D. Oliver wrote:

> I've got a 2002 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7 V8. I just rolled over the
> 40,000 mile mark and am noticing that the ride doesn't seem as 'tight'
> as it once was.
>
> This truck ride now seems a little sloppy and spongy. I drive 80-200
> miles a day, mostly highway with very little time off-road with this
> truck.

> 1. How long should the stock shocks be considered to last? Are they worn
> out at 40K??

They're long gone. I replaced the shocks on my '99 at 37K and they were
overdue. I just replaced the shocks on my '03 this weekend at under 12K
after several complaints from my other half that the truck was prone to
bouncing all over the road (yes, boys, she *ordered* me to replace the
shocks). Replace 'em with just about anything and you'll be happy.
Rancho's shocks tend to be geared more towards off-road; Monroes are
probably a good choice for you, and the Edelbrocks I installed also get
rave reviews.