Re: changed my shocks just now!

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 12:05:23 EDT

Tim Althoff wrote:

> OK, with some more driving i have figured out better of when the clunk noise is coming only when i am going slower. When i am on the freeway i don't hear anything. I also stood on the rear bumper and jumped up and down. When the truck comes back up the clunk occurs. Almost as though the bolt doesn't fill in the hole in the shock. When the truck goes down it doesn't make any noise.

Is it not happening when you're on the highway, or can you just not hear
it? Can you feel the clunk too? Sounds like something could be loose -
did you dry-fit the bolt in the shock eye before bolting it on? I did
this on both my shock swaps just to make sure everything lined up.

Is it possible that you're hearing the shock or suspension fully extend?
  I can't remember - is your truck lowered at all?

> Now the only other thing that was weird was that the upper bolt with the tab welded on when trying to torque will pass by the frame it's actually bending the tab and the passing by the frame. I have been unable to get my full 70lbs on the upper bolts. am i supposed to have a wrench on that bolt to tighten it back up?

I was never able to get a wrench on that nut (burned a couple hours on
my '99 figuring that out). Never had a problem with the tab bending &
missing the frame. Can you bend it back? If not, you may need to get a
new nut that you can get a wrench on.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------