Ignition switch

From: C. Philip Cutler II (cpcii@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 23:22:15 EDT

http://members.cox.net/cpcii/ignition.jpg

I had to change my ignition switch in the truck tonight, the barrel that
turns the locking mechanism broke, as you might be able to see in the
picture. The only part I had trouble with was getting the torque bolts
with the little pin in the center out, I had to use an ice pick and
hammer to get that little piece of metal out so I could turn the screw
out. Talk about a pain. Then trying to get the new lock back in, the
little piece of metal I forget to remove, what a bone head move that
was, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go back in. Then I noticed
the little piece of metal in there. That qualifies as a DOH! Turned it
over and let the piece fall out, new lock slid right in place. Luckily
AutoZone carries the part for a measly 19 buck, compared to the dealers
70? I think is what he said on the phone.

But now the only big problem is I have to carry 2 keys, one for the
door, one for the ignition, oh well, anybody know where to get them
keyed the same? I'd like to stay with the new key if possible.

Thanks

Philip
92 CC 3.9 V6 4x4, no Mods (Yet), new ignition switch at 130,000 miles.