Re: O/T: Turbo questions

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 20:42:18 EDT

Punch wrote:
> OK, its off topic but car related, peeps in my turbo Gt forum say the turbo
> gets no gains from installing a cold air intake, but does gain from a bigger
> exhaust why?
>
> also, with a cold air intake, all airbox silencers where removed, is a turbo
> supposed to sound like a bag of marble dropped in a blender, they say yes!

I'm not sure about the bag of marbles, but I'll tell you why you won't
see much, if any, gain from a cold-air intake on your PT. If I'm not
mistaken, your car runs an intercooler. Your intake charge gets heated
by the turbo, then gets sent through the intercooler, which brings it
back down to a relatively normal temperature. Any coolness gained by
the CAI is LOOOOOONG gone by the time the air reaches the cylinders.

As others said, having a huge exhaust helps the turbo operate much more
efficiently. Spooling quicker and the like.