Re: bedcover

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 13:28:12 EDT

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:01:35 -0400, jbattles@bankfinancial.com ("Josh
Battles") wrote:

>Ok, so I'm looking at getting a soft tonneau because I think it'll be more
>practical and I'm tired of people dropping trash in the bed of my truck.
>I'm looking at the Extang Black Max cover because it's got the black rails
>and stuff... I found it at www.trukstuff.com for $174.99 and am not sure
>what size to order... They have three choices for bed size... SB, LB, and
>6.5' bed. I'm guessing that I should go with the SB choice, but they
>weren't really all that cooperative when I asked them over a "web chat" and
>told me to measure my bed. Now, i'm at work and don't really feel like
>measuring my bed so can someone tell me what size it is? I'm inclined to
>specify a 6.5' bed because I'm 6'3" and can lay in the bed with the gate up.
>Anyone?

Yep, it's a 6.5' bed. That's why when you look in a lot of catalogs
that sell things like tool boxes, they have "Long Bed," "Short Bed,"
and "Dodge Short Bed."

I found this, which ought to help:
http://www.anythingtruck.com/extang_apps.html

For "97-03 Dakota Short Bed (6 1/2 ft.)," the part number you need for
a Black Max is 2750. If you're looking for convenience and think you
might haul small-medium sized stuff in your bed, you might want to
consider the Full-Tilt or the Downey LTD. Having a hinged cover
really rocks.

I've had the Downey LTD on my truck since June and it's worked out
pretty well. When I bought it, I had my choices narrowed down to the
Extang Full-Tilt and the Downey... ended up going with the Downey
because I could get a better deal on it at the time. Only problem
I've had with it is that there's a little gap between the cover frame
and the bed rails at the very back of the truck and between the cover
frame and the tailgate. I think that has to do with my bedliner more
than anything else, though. I'll get around to fixing it some day..

-Bill