Re: Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 10:14:18 EST

"Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> figure out a way to keep the trans fluid stuck where it belongs and
> pull the shaft. see if it still vibrates, and then you'll know you're
> looking at the shaft or the rearend.

That's easy. Take the front u-joint apart and leave the yoke in the trans.
Make sure it's in there good so it doesn't slide out. I had one for the
mustang (for a tremec 5 speed) that I cut the u-part off of the yoke so it
was just a collar - it worked GREAT for helping to pinpoint driveline
vibration problems.

> if you're feeling invasive, pull the rearend apart except the input
> shaft/ driveshaft, and then you'll know for sure whether it's the shaft
> or the guts of the banjo. if it's the guts, I'd expect that you'll see
> missing bits, but missing bits have a way of making noise, so I'm not
> sure where they could have gone....

If there are missing bits, the best way to find out is to pull the trans pan
and look in the bottom.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L